Sunday, September 26, 2010

Joe's surgery


Joe was told his hand was in a "stage 4" and if it got to a stage 5 that he would lose the use of his hand. The only way to prevent it from going to a "stage 5" was to have surgery done. Thankfully after a almost a year the insurance finally approved the surgery and Joe had his wrist/arm surgery done July 12, 2010.

The surgery went well, and Joe and I both felt like he had a very competent doctor. Joe unfortunately had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
He threw up for 3 days and couldn't keep anything down, not even small sips of water. I walked into the bedroom on the 3rd day post surgery to give him is pain medication and found a terrifying sight! My sweet husband was black in the face and his lips and no color at all. I honestly thought for half a second that he was dead. It even took me a long time and a lot of yelling to try to wake him. I had called the Dr. that morning and had picked up the nausea medication, so I gave Joe the first dose of that along with the pain medication. I told him that if he threw up one more ounce I was dragging him to the ER! But the nausea medication did it's job and Joe finally was able to keep at least liquid down. My poor honey! :(

The last physical therapy appointment he went to showed that he has improved a lot! Originally the Dr. told him he wasn't supposed to lift more than a glass, but the last therapy appointment they told him he was clear to lift up to 8 lbs with his hand. He's still has pain, but it gets better every day, we feel very blessed!

No comments:

Treasured Friends

Moving to Missouri was a little rough at first.  My daughter Hannah told everyone we were moving to "Misery" instead of pronouncin...